Saturday, November 29, 2014

Speculation


My grandfather always told me, "Never bet on anything you aren't prepared to win." This seemed to me, for a good chunk of my life, like a warning never to gamble on anything. I've treated much of my creative work to this philosophy, and held back on many a gamble. It was too much of a gamble for me because I was uncertain if I could perform in a way that I thought was winnable. The uncertainty kept me starting a new project every other day out of the pure discomfort I felt with each and every creation - that it might not be good enough to win.

However, I knew that my grandfather was not shy of making wages on many sports that he was good at but couldn't have possibly known he was going to win. So what gave? I've matured and have come to understand that "prepared" is the word to emphasize, not guaranteed winning. That preparation is more important than winning seems obvious to me as a parent of two teenagers, but for myself? Shouldn't I be winning by now?

Well, I am at least a pillar of experience, and I forget that sometimes, especially after brain surgery. While I may not have all the answers, I do have plenty of experience to draw upon after being a self-sustaining writer for many years, after working within publishing and gaming, for studios, with independent producers and and for a literary agency. By now I have a treasure trove of experiences to draw upon. I do know what "they" are looking for in a talent, besides talent.


All of this is, indeed, part of my preparation as a coach and instructor of writers. However, is it what a writer needs to prepare herself to succeed? Maybe, but there is something specific that makes a writer into a demanded commodity for the market. There is no lack of "content" out there, and obviously enough of it is terrible that any writer can't help but think, "I could do this better." However, I have slowly come to understand that this initial speculation must be followed by the work of preparation to be a successful writer.

Jeez. That's heady. Like what kind of things does a writer need be be ready to do besides write? Nothing. Ha, ha! Working in so many industries of words, guess what I witnessed writers having the most trouble doing? Writing. Yep. I spent more of my time walking writers through the articles I needed them to turn in last week, cajoling screenwriters to finish the polish they promised a month before, and talking writers into the confidence their work deserved to turn it over to other eyes, than I spent time reading what they wrote. Yet somehow, I missed the point of all of this until recently.

What does a writer need, to be prepared, to do in order to succeed? A writer needs to be prepared to write. 


But how can a writer prepare herself to write anything, anytime? Practicing is applicable to any business, sport or art form, and will make being "original," rather than derivative, that much more accessible. Writing practice is all about removing the struggle to get to the essence. Not every practice run produces a winning work of writing and that is perfectly acceptable. I am no longer struggling with an irksome "can I or can't I?" question. I can write. I write everyday. To be a true speculative writer means practice begins today and everyday so that I am prepared to write whatever I envision, whenever I envision it, Practicing may not make perfect, but practicing makes prepared.

The hopeful part of being a speculative writer is in practice that develops self-knowledge, flexibility and preparedness for all opportunities. Come work with me for a few hours or a few years. It will take the time it takes for you to find yourself prepared to write successfully.





No comments:

Post a Comment